Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Simply the Best

Today I had the privilege of visiting teacher extraordinaire Jill Greco at Lago Lindo School. What a treat is was for me to watch a master teacher in action for the entire morning.  Jill truly maximizes the learning for her Kindergarten students from the way she has arranged the furniture in her classroom to the laid-back way she delivers a lesson.  As well, Jill takes organization to a whole new level... a definite must for any teacher looking to brave the untamed world of Kindergarten!  Just like an Olympic figure skater or a great musician in an orchestra, Jill makes her job look effortless and easy.  The fact of the matter is, years of practice, untold hours of preparation, and sheer day-to-day determination can be credited to that effortless demeanor.


I realized today that many of the activities and ideas that are most successful in my own classroom have come from Jill and a handful of other exemplary teachers that I have been lucky enough to know.  The Greek philosopher Epictetus said "The key is to keep company only with people who uplift you, whose presence calls forth your best."  I'm so thankful that Jill has shared her expertise with me over the years and hope that I can return the favour.

1 comment:

  1. Russell,
    It is always a wonderful experience to see a master teacher in action. I too have had the privilege of visiting Jill's class. Visiting others, gives one a chance to learn new things, to exchange ideas and to reflect on one's practise.
    I know I have learned much from classroom visits and would encourage others to do so if they have the opportunity.
    Love the turkey activity- the same task would be great to make a monster face or a jack o lantern for Halloween.
    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete