Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Kindergarten Kingdom

November can be a dreary month.  The festive orange pumpkins and bright fall foliage of autumn have been put away.  The tinsel and gingerbread are not yet ready to make their Christmas appearance.  And so we arrive at a month that can be rather bleak.  To combat this dilemma I have designated November as Fairy Tale month each year.  What could be more magical than sprouting beanstalks, industrious pigs, and magic carpets?


Most Kindergarten classroom have a dress-up center in the form of a large playhouse.  Often featuring plastic food, small dishes, an assortment of clothes to change into, and baby dolls to care for.  It is a great place to practice the business of being an adult and running a household.  But suppose you were destined for a greater calling... perhaps a position in a royal family.  What is a little king, queen, or knight to do?  Each November my house center magically transforms into a posh fairytale castle with a wardrobe bursting with crowns, capes, and scepters for those that choose to play there.  And we are never too alarmed if a grouchy stomping giant shows up or a menacing witch planning to brew up a powerful potion swoops in!
People notice the details!  The coat of arms is my cat Fernando's.  
I liked the visual of the dragon and the little castle icons around it.
Of course the design of the castle in my classroom was greatly influenced by Sleeping Beauty Castle at my favourite place on earth... Disneyland!  
My favourite place with my favourite person... life is good!  
The coat of arms on this castle belongs to the Disney family.

1 comment:

  1. I just love how you make every activity meaningful but FUN! I can tell a lot of thought and love goes into your lessons...wouldn't it be great if every kid got a change to have a teacher like you?

    ReplyDelete