Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A New Spin

After reading a number of traditional versions of Goldilocks and the Three Bears I came across this delightful version which takes the classic fairytale and gives it a new spin.  Cindy Meyers' account of Goldilocks misadventures follows the basic traditional storyline but changes things up by having Baby Bear use a wheelchair to get around.  As well, Baby Bear has a very comfy bed that has a remote control to make it go up and down.  Of course, Goldilocks' innate curiousity gets the best of her as she discovers these unique items.  The story also ends in a very different way sending a lovely message of inclusivity and cooperation.
As I introduced the book to the children in my class I asked them what they noticed about the picture on the front cover.  Here are their responses:
"There is Goldilocks."
"I see flowers."
"There is a butterfly."
"They are outside."
"They look happy."
"Where is the Mama Bear and Papa Bear."
"They are outside in the woods."
I was surprised (and delighted) that no one seemed to notice anything unusual in the fact that Baby Bear was in a wheelchair.  


Sometimes I think children should run the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment